9.10.2008

Bounty


I joined a fruit and vegetable co-op and picked up my first basket of produce at our local park this weekend. Look at the variety for only $15! Apples, grapes, bananas, strawberries, limes, avocados, tomatoes, peppers, garlic, broccoli, green beans, peaches and cantaloupe. We had the green beans and broccoli for dinner and they were wonderful. 

Last night after my husband got back from work, we harvested the last of the carrots, green and yellow beans, onions and bell peppers from the garden. For an inaugural and semi-experimental planting, I was pleased with the results, especially with the quality of our tomatoes and bell peppers. We're in a hurry to plant again, so we started to prepare the beds. I don't recommend night gardening. Though the temperatures were more comfortable, we had to work by the light of a flashlight and killed six black widow spiders. I had to agree with my husband when he said that gardening sure makes you appreciate food. It's a lot of work! :)

7 comments:

Mary-Laure said...

Those co-ops are such a great concept! You really get to eat locally grown, super fresh produce.
It all looks delicious in your basket...
Bon appétit!

LisAway said...

Pretty produce! Congrats on your garden. I cannot believe you killed 6 black widows. Night Gardening should be considered an extreme sport based on danger level!

melissa ellen parker said...

$15 and those veggies look so tasty!

I miss having a garden. I grew up on a farm. You really do appreciate food more - and pretty veggies are quite a big deal!

We're buying our first home and I can't wait to get a garden going! Lots of work. Good, rewarding work though!

Karen said...

I am in VA and we have had a rash of black widows here lately. I think we were up to 11 in a week. I don't really mind spiders but they weird my husband out and those types do worry be around the kids.

Nice veggies.

Janae said...

Wow--SIX black widows!? That's one reason I'm not sure I'd be good at gardening. That produce looks delicious! What a wonderful idea to do a co-op.

RainyPM said...

I'm so scared of spiders, esp. black widows. I'm officially freaking out now too, because I live in VA too and I didn't even know we were having a rash of black widows. UGH, I just got one of those goose bump shivers of fear.

Nicole said...

What fun! How does a co-op work, exactly? Perhaps there's something in New Orleans, though it's a little more risky...I can't wait to have a garden, when Joseph is actually home to help out...someday:)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...