7.15.2010

Swing Makeover

My babies have always loved the swing. It's one of the few 'gadgets' that actually work to buy me a few minutes of alone time {also known as shower-and-brush-my-teeth-time}. Unfortunately, I think baby swings, like most pieces of {reasonably priced} baby equipment, are quite ugly and out of place in an adult space.

I took 'before' pictures of my little take-along swing, but can't find them currently. It was exactly like the one above-- navy, plaid, and with little teddy bears all over it. *Gag* So I bought two yards of fabric, some cording, and a can of black spray paint and set about re-making the swing.

The result:
I'm still a little nervous about how the spray paint will hold up, especially on some of the plastic pieces, but am hoping the coat of wipe-on poly will help with durability. This was one of the more complicated projects for me, since I had to take apart the entire original cover in order to figure out how it was made, then replicate it. There were several times that the seam ripper came in quite handy. :) I even replaced all the straps and buckles:

Now we're ready for baby!

7 comments:

mosey (kim) said...

You are awesome. When the baby is born and you have lots of time available, could you come over and prettify my house for me? (the "lots of time" was a joke, in case that wasn't clear....)

The Dragonfly said...

Um, you have now clearly established the fact that you have mad, and I mean mad sewing skills! I never even thought of trying to make a swing look cuter. Instead I counted down the days until I could get that ugly monstrosity out of my house! When the baby comes, promise me you'll put him/her in something yellow and snap a picture for me - it's quintessential melancholy. Me likey.

Scottkids said...

SO DARLING! I love it! I may have to tell others what you have done! So cute!

Jennifer said...

wow. I'm kind of in awe. Want to come out to Utah and help me redo all the cutesy junk that people are trying to push on me?

We're going for a black & white nursery (because it has to function as a nursery, office and guest room) with blue & green accents and it's come to my attention that black just doesn't seem to exist in the world of baby goods. Whats up with that?

Oh well, I guess it just means lots of projects for me, eh?

Stephanie said...

Wow! I am so impressed with all of your projects. I love the nursery items in black! Your nesting stage has been so productive :) Can't wait to meet your little one. . .

Crys said...

YOu are so amazing me right now! I am too exhausted to be creative right now, so I am loving everything you are doing. YOu canbe creative enough for the both of us, ok?

Nicole said...

I think you should post/sell a pattern for remaking the ugly covers on baby swings, bouncers, etc...could be a real demand. Or even sell them ready made on etsy or something!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...