7.09.2012

Whipped Coconut Cream


I recently discovered {through Pinterest--where else?} that one can place a can of coconut milk into the refrigerator overnight and then whip the cream that rises to the top. 


I tried it today with a dash of powdered sugar, then used it to top a bowl-full of delicate white peaches and just-ripened nectarines. It was the perfect juxtaposition of exotic and down-home comfort food. 



Summer continues to reign heavily here. We received a brief reprieve {a miracle really} on the Forth of July, when the clouds rolled in and showered us with an afternoon of sprinkles, but otherwise the heat is like a blanket and the cicadas drone constantly.

I sit on the back porch and dream of last summer, which seems so long ago in that softly-out-of-focus way, and yet near enough to give the impression of being tantalizingly possible to recreate somehow if I just had the brilliance.

*sigh*

For now, coconut cream is my escape.

2 comments:

Apis Melliflora said...

Is coconut cream lower in calories or healthier?

MelancholySmile said...

I guess you could argue that it's healthier, but as far as calories and fat go, it's pretty comparable to heavy whipped cream. I just like it for the flavor. :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...