10.25.2012

Bedroom Glimpse


I've been talking about my bedroom makeover for a month now, and while it still isn't finished, here are a few tiny peeks before I ask for your advice. 

My current design plan can pretty much be summed up with one sentance: paint it white. J jokes that I'm creating a temple. :) {For those of you who are unfamiliar with LDS temples, they're completely furnished, painted, decorated and draped in white. Everyone inside also wears white.} 


The first project I completed when I came home was the headboard. It's thick, cushy, and wrapped in grey linen. I loooove it, though the tufting is borderline too traditional for me. I'm hoping that the clean lines and industrial vibe of other elements will help to make it read more 'eclectic'.


I'm in love with my little rolling IKEA cart, but currently it migrates around the house in search of the perfect nook. Too tall for a coffee table, not long enough for the end of the bed...


I'm painting my {very messy and un-styled} bookcase white. Then I'm filling it with all my white knick-knacks and covering my books in white craft paper. Naturally.

Here's the part where I ask for your advice:


I have an awesome mid-century dresser that I'd like to make two-toned. Do I go with option 1 and just paint the frame white, leaving the drawers and legs stained? Or do I go with option 2 and paint the drawer-fronts and leave the frame stained? The white, oil-based paint I bought is a much brighter white than the shell white that I painted the walls. Do you think that matters? {I'm currently leaning towards one of the options, but a second opinion may sway me.}


Also, I should note that the dresser appears a little darker and richer than the camera was able to capture. The color more closely matches the little vintage furniture feet I installed on the {upholstered!} box spring.

Of course, all this white will look a tad less stark once I have lamps, artwork, accessories and rugs placed, but that's for another day and another post. :)

Thoughts?

12 comments:

The Dragonfly said...

I vote for the brown drawer fronts, but only because I feel you have to have at least one point of warmth even in an all white/grey scheme.

Love all the upgrades. Especially the feet on the upholstered box spring. So cool!

Kerry said...

I vote for Option 1!

I love your bedroom design; all of the white will be stunning and peaceful. Can't wait to see the finished products!

laconceptiondesfemmes.blogspot.com

Christine said...

I much prefer option 2, but that could be because I don't like the paneling/wood grain on option 1. It seems better to have the dark wood against the wall so it stands out, rather than the frame blending in, but I'm no designer- can't wait to see what you do!

Hannah Q. Parris said...

I think if you are putting any knobs on the dresser, they would stand out more on the white like in option 2, but if not, then option 1 is better. I love the upholstered boxspring and vintage legs on the bed!

Kristina said...

I vote option 1. I've never seen a finish like that--it's really quite cool and I think more mid mod looking than option 2 (but I'm only a casual admirer of mid mod and thus not thoroughly versed on it).
Looks great!

Apis Melliflora said...

I like #1 better, maybe because the inspiration piece is of higher quality. Although I will say that the top of the dresser will show more wear if it's white.

Go with your gut.

merelyLooking said...

Now that I see your dresser again I'm even more inclined to #1. Your dresser drawer fronts have a lot of beautiful grain and character and it would be a shame to hide that. I would leave the feet and the support pieces of the feet stained, too. Which means you'd only have a thin line of white on the bottom front but I think that would look totally natural because of the slight indent in the form, which would serve to emphasize the "box" of white.

btw - love it all! Your shelves look great unstyled, I can only imagine once you get your hands on them! :)

merelyLooking said...

Also, the shell white next to a higher white will just help layer all your whites and textures. It's a good thing :)

Nicole said...

Did you ever decide on the bed spread? I'm anxious to see what you've decided, and tips in case I get my hands on some old bunk beds for the kids that could use a refinishing. Good luck!

Crys said...

I love it all Girl, you da best. I have seen those dressers and almost pinned them so many times. Honestly don't know which what I would go. Nice work, can't wait to see it in person.

torrie said...

option 1. not as typical and makes the wood pop!

h. said...

Option 1!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...