4.01.2011

Circles

My favorite thing about picture ledges is that it's so easy to switch out and rearrange the art on display. Yesterday, I had fun making a quick, easy and free piece of art.


I started out with a stack of Real Simple magazines {which always look so pretty on the cover, but are rarely worth re-reading} and a circle punch I had from the time I threw a black, white and yellow party. I cut out a lot of circles, focusing on shades of blue with varying patterns.


I hate math, so instead of precise measurements, I simply laid the empty frame over the paper and created a grid with the circles by sight. Then, I folded a circle and glued one half down, letting the other half flip up like a butterfly wing. I proceeded to do this with all the circles, alternating which half I glued down.


The end result was nice and textural. Kind of modern and abstract, with just the right punch of color.


Now I have a stack of Real Simple issues with punched-out holes in the pages. Anyone have more great uses for old magazines?

7 comments:

Crys said...

That looks really cool. Nice job.

The Dragonfly said...

That looks awesome! Did you use mat board or just a piece of cardstock? I love all the shades of blue.

Marci said...

It looks amazing!!!

The Starter House said...

oooo if i was a kid...it would take "every fiber of my being" to keep from picking the flappy circles off...:) i'm still that kid. i love the colors. and i love that someone else thinks real simple is dorky and usually not simple at all and suggests all the most expensive products though they are guised as the "cheap & easy & green" route... NOT.

Apis Melliflora said...

That picture is wonderful. Such an amazing use of what you already have.

If I had a circle punch, I would steal this idea. I may still steal it.

Very watery, beachy. Very soothing.

Janae said...

You are so creative. I know, it's just circles, but you make circles into a beautiful work of art. LOVE this!

Nicole said...

I think deep down we are just blue and grey kind of people:)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...